Bonita Burton of the Daily Sun of the Villages, Fla., announced yet another huge hire Tuesday:
I’m elated to announce that media revolutionary Colin Smith will be joining The Daily Sun as Managing Editor for Innovation.
In this new role, Colin will work closely with Managing Editor Curt Hills and me on in-depth projects, content reinvention, special sections, redesigns and the launch of new initiatives.
Colin brings tremendous vision and intelligence to our newsroom — one of the few that is still growing. Colin is know for transforming both products and people, and his leadership is going to rocket-fuel our enlarging ambition.
For the past two years, Colin has overseen the news design of The Arizona Republic and four newspapers produced at Gannett’s Phoenix Design Studio. Last month, he created the structure for the Republic’s smart redesign.
Previously, he was Design Director at The Salt Lake Tribune and produced writing, editing, design and marketing work from California to Illinois. Along the way, he’s become a well-known champion of journalistic excellence, especially in his work with the Society for News Design.
He’s the most recent coordinator of SND’s international competition (he has multiple SND awards of his own), and serves as a trustee for SND’s charitable Foundation.
Colin is a graduate of the University of Southern California, where he majored in urban planning and minored in architecture.
What really distinguishes Colin beyond his resume though, is his relentless optimism for the future. He thinks quickly, acts swiftly and makes everyone feel better about themselves just by entering the room. Please make him feel welcome when he joins us in early June.
Meanwhile, we’re making some a few other changes in our leadership structure to support our growth strategy:
- AME Thomas Marcetti will take the point on our evolving Features and niche product design, while…
- AME Bill Bootz will zero in on News and Sports design.
- Our colleagues from marketing will become more involved in coordinating our internal recognition events, while…
- Managing Editor Matt Fry will assume responsibility for outside recruiting in addition to his oversight of newsroom production.
There are only a few nuggets I can add to all that…
- Colin also worked on the redesign of the Times-News of Twin Falls, Idaho, in July 2011…
- …and the redesign of the Coloradoan of Fort Collins in October 2012.
- Bo already mentioned the redesign of the Republic last month.
A few samples of Colin’s work:
Recent high-profile hires by the Villages Daily Sun…