Gannett made major promotions at two of its design studios over the past few weeks.
On Oct. 27, Lindsey Turner became creative director of the Nashville Design Studio. She said on Facebook:
We have a fantastic team in the studio and we are going to do amazing things.
A 2004 graduate of Middle Tennessee State University, Lindsey interned at the Birmingham News. She spent spent seven years at the Memphis Commercial Appeal as a designer, copy editor, blogger and assistant art director. She moved to the Gannett hub in Nashville in 2012, where she led the team that designed papers in Mississippi, Alabama and Virginia.
In her spare time, Lindsey sells what she calls “salty and Southern-fried pretties” — greeting cards, note cards, gift tags, wall prints and so on — via her Etsy store.
I’ve blogged about her work or work by members of her team a number of times:
- Feb. 12, 2013: Monday’s post-tornado front page of the tiny Hattiesburg American
- March 18, 2013: Maybe you’ll earn a new merit badge for mastering this cool new Photoshop trick
- June 16, 2014:Inside the Nashville Tennessean’s addicted baby presentation
- June 30, 2014: Nashville Tennessean celebrates a college baseball championship
Last night, Sean McKeown-Young announced he had been named creative director of the Des Moines Design studio.
Sean McKeown-Young is Wisconsin team leader of the Gannett Design Studio in Des Moines, Iowa.
A graduate of the University of Cincinnati, Sean served as presentation editor for the Green Bay Press-Gazette and then spent several years at the Toledo Blade. He moved to Gannett’s Louisville studio in 2011 as assistant team leader for features and then moved to the Des Moines studio in 2012, where he has served as Wisconsin team leader.
Previous blog posts featuring Sean’s work over the past couple of years…
- Sept. 10, 2012: The most interesting weekend front pages
- Nov. 7, 2012: Three brief case studies for wonderful Election Night design
- Nov. 28, 2012: A buffet line of infographics on today’s front pages
- Dec. 2, 2012: Eight front pages; eight superlative uses of design tools
- Jan. 30, 2013: A fun way to illustrate Wisconsin’s weather swings this year
- Feb. 1, 2013: ‘I found a driver, and that’s a start’…
- Feb. 6, 2013: Inside Gannett’s special sections today honoring Green Bay Packer Donald Driver
- Feb. 12, 2013: A look at today’s most outstanding Pope Benedict XVI pages
- March 1, 2013: The coolest thing I’ve seen lately: I scream, you scream…
- July 30, 2013: A warm treatment of ‘cold cases’ in Wisconsin
- Oct. 9, 2013: Appleton, Wis., Post-Crescent launches a redesign
- Dec. 23, 2013: Today’s best Christmas Day front pages
- Feb. 17, 2014: Green Bay Press-Gazette launches a redesign
- April 8, 2014: A look at how Gannett’s Wisconsin papers played the Final Four
- June 2, 2014: Fun college baseball page alert
- July 4, 2014: A look at today’s most interesting Fourth of July pages
Editorial comment: I’ve been a big fan of both of these young people. Studio director Ted Power couldn’t have made better choices.